Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Revisting a Failed Painting

A couple of weeks ago, I posted about a painting I tried to put together from my memory and a thumbnail sketch.  You can read that post here.  I just got back around to trying it today, and here's what happened:

You can see I've made composition more consistent with the thumbnail sketch, which improves the painting.  I've also restricted the palette (5 colors:  indian yellow, ultramarine blue, carbazole violet, manganese blue hue, and burnt umber).  Finally, for the most part, all the colors are unified across the painting, and the indian yellow is left for intensity.  The painting is also much larger--about 14x14 inches. 

Does it convey the feeling I was shooting for?  Well, no.  It makes me think of winter rather than spring.  But, overall, it's an improvement over the first attempt.

No comments:

Post a Comment