Monday, December 2, 2013

Even More Limited Palette Ohio Landscapes


If you've been following this blog, you've probably noticed that lately I tend to work in very limited palettes of 3 up to about 5 colors. The colors vary slightly, but typically include some kind of red, blue, and yellow. You can see other examples, here, here, and here.


I just did this series with Daniel Smith Quinacridone Violet, Pthalo Blue, and
Quinacridone Gold.  The scenes are all amalgams of scenes around Ohio from this fall.  It was a beautiful fall, but now it's seguing into winter.  (Not much color left.)

They are in the reverse order I painted them where, going clockwise, approximately 20x213, and 20x9, and 9x12 inches.

I love the middle painting--I think it's the largest I've ever done.  The last painting, I think is mealy.  (I painted that one after dark, under my dining room table light--not a good idea, it appears.)

The top is in between the two.  Part of the problem may be that the picture is of Bradford pear trees, and although they are pretty in the fall, they are one of my least favorite kinds of trees.  Literally, lollipop trees.

The top two paintings are on a new kind of paper for me--I usually try and paint on cold press 300 lb paper, but I bought a bunch of rough to try.  I really like it.  The paint moves in interesting ways!

No comments:

Post a Comment