Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Prairie Coneflower

I thought I was growing Black Eyed Susans in my border, but when I went to look the flower up, discovered that they were more likely some kind of prairie cone flower.  Who knew?  They took a couple of years to establish themselves, and for the first two years were perpetually attacked by deer. They were in full bloom when we returned from vacation, and they're beautiful.  Here's my take (from memory, so kind of abstracted), and a picture of the border.  

The painting is 10.5 x 10 inches, and is with ultramarine blue, carbazole violet, phthalo green, burnt umber, lemon yellow and hansa or indian yellow--I believe it's the later.  The paper is Kilamanjaro 300 lb cold press from a block. I tried doing a very wet-in-wet painting with a mop brush, letting it almost dry, and then going back in to add darks for shapes.

The other plants you can see in my border are shasta daisies (they spread like mad), false indigo, and a little bit of switch grass to the left.  I just pulled a ton of daisies from the space between the prairie cone flowers and the indigo--like I said, they spread.


No comments:

Post a Comment