Thursday, January 1, 2015

And A Few Painterly Resolutions For 2015

Three Oranges.  Watercolor.
Approximately 8 x 11 inches.
As 2014 closed, I looked back.  Today, it's the first day of 2015.  Since it's a clean slate, this post is about looking forward and setting a few goals.
Get Confident.  Well. I'll try.  This carries over into a lot of things.  Pricing my work correctly, and not underselling; applying to shows and competitions; identifying as an artist when asked.  This may be an area where you fake it, and hope that the skill comes with practice.... 

Get organized. I use this blog as a semi-record, but I have stuff flying all over the place.  Receipts, paintings, records, you name it.  I've been trying to automate things, and I think I'm almost there. Three things that have helped me in the last few months:  Evernote, IFTTT, and Dropbox.  I also use WaveApps, which is a free online accounting program and is very helpful for managing receipts.

Sketch.  I carry a sketch book in my purse, which makes my purse heavy, and I rarely use it to sketch.  When I bought it, I was hoping to sketch daily.  Maybe it would be more realistic to shoot for 1x per week.  

Paint.   This sounds really obvious, doesn't it?  But it's easy to get distracted by the rest of my life. I also need to think about what I want to paint....  

I said when I first start talking about 2015 in November, that I'd like to mention other artists that caught my eye.  I added Kim Minichiello to blog roll--you should go check out her work.  And, I'm about to add Robin Purcell.  I don't want to post their pics without their permission in a blog.  

The painting by me at the top is done on Fabriano 300 lb Rough Watercolor Paper, with paints from Daniel Smith--Quinacridone Gold, Quinacridone Burnt Orange, Indigo, and Perlyene Red.  


No comments:

Post a Comment