Friday, April 10, 2015

Over The Rhine In Cincinnati

OTR Abstracted.  Watercolor.
Approximately 22x30 inches.
I was just down at the Pendelton Center in Over The Rhine for the first class in a workshop on painting abstracts. The class is by Barb Smucker, and it was a ton of fun.  She offers guidelines, but in the end, it comes down to no holds barred, try anything you want.  We're not working on producing "ART," but are trying various techniques.  Yesterday was all about line.  Black lines.  You'd be surprised about how many different ways there are to make black lines.  She had india ink and brushes and pens and charcoal and paint pens, and oil pastels, and....well, you get the idea.  I made a huge mess, and had a fantastic time.

Anyhow, as you drive down Pendelton St. to get to the Center, you can see a jumble of houses and buildings climbing the hill.  It was hard to resist, so I gave the painting a whirl last night.  I'm not sure I'm done.  Still thinking.  My boys laugh at the amount of time I spend thinking about paintings. They think it is quite over the top.  Still, I have to think on it.  In particular, I'm thinking about the sky line and the horizon line.

Another huge painting.  I don't know what I'm going to do with all these big paintings, but they're sure to paint.

The details:  Fabriano 300 lb Rough Watercolor Paper.  Daniel Smith Watercolors:  Indian Yellow, Perinone Orange, Manganese Blue Hue, Quinacridone Pink and Quinacridone Purple.

No comments:

Post a Comment