Friday, May 1, 2015

Hot Press Paper

Layered Pears.  Watercolor and Crayon.
If you've been reading this blog, you've probably noticed that I've taken a shine to 300 lb Fabriano Rough Watercolor paper.  It is fantastic stuff.  You've probably also noticed that I often use an overlay of Caran D'Ache crayon. Also fantastic stuff.  The two don't necessarily go together, though. Crayon over rough paper produces a texture that is not always what I want in my painting, and even after adding water (the crayon is water soluble, and will spread like an opaque watercolor), you can frequently still see the texture.  See for example, this dusk painting, where the texture is highly visible in the painting.

For variety, I ordered a boatload of 300 lb Fabriano Hot Press Paper.  Interesting stuff.  Logically, I started with a full sheet.  It's hard enough to paint on a full sheet with paper that I'm familiar with--the hot press handles the paint very differently.  Not bad.  Just different.  That first large painting?  Ouch. I don't know what I'm going to do with it.  Maybe I'll overlay some acrylic or opaque watercolors, and see if I can make it work.  (I just got haven't gotten to a picture--I'm definitely not afraid to show you my failed paintings.....)

Now crayon--the crayon on hot press is fantastic.  Like spreading perfectly melted butter.

I'm working now on smaller sizes to see if I can get a balance between the watercolor and crayon. Remember, I ordered a boatload, so I'll be getting this going no matter what.

The details:  Daniel Smith Phthalo Blue Red Scale, Cobalt Teal Blue, and permanent yellow deep.  Caran Dache Crayon (I'll start paying attention to which crayons I'm using....), and 300 lb Fabriano Hot Press Paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment