Wednesday, January 29, 2014

A Series of Landscapes in Watercolor and Caran D'Ache Crayon

If you read this blog, you've noticed that one of my favorite subjects is trees. My last post was about the oak we planted in my backyard, and last fall I was having a lovely time trying to capture the color in the trees.

About two months ago, I bought a set of Caran D'Ache Crayons--this set. (I'm appalled--they are significantly less expensive from Amazon.  I always forget to check there vs. the art supply companies; sometimes Amazon has very good prices, although they don't always have a great selection.)

As for trees--here are three different trees using watercolor and crayon.  My favorite is the one at the left. It's one of my favorite combination of colors.





I am enjoying the crayons because they give more flexibility and intense color. They're water soluble and you can lift if you change your mind. Try a small set, or visit, and try mine!

I'm not too sure about the painting at right, but the painting below was an old watercolor that didn't look like much. I turned it into a landscape with the crayons, and now I rather like it.  (Note that I usually like my paintings immediately after I paint them, and given a month or so completely reverse my opinion.  A post on that later.)

If you've discovered something new for your art that you're enjoying, please share! I'd love to hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment