Monday, December 1, 2014

Turning World

Turning World.  Watercolor and crayon.
Approximately 11 x 9 inches
If you've been reading this blog, you've probably noticed that my work is tipping more and more abstracted You can see examples, here, here, and here. If you check those links, you'll notice that those are some of the earliest abstracts and that they're laid out in squares and rectangles. Lately, I've been going more and more towards circles and curving shapes, which you can see here, here, and here.  Not always, but often.


I also like the addition of Caran D'Ache water soluble crayons, which have a nice effect (they can either add texture or completely smooth out the surface depending on how they're applied.)

Turning World is a fun experiment on 300 lb Fabriano rough watercolor paper using Daniel Smith Quinacridone Burnt Orange, Carbazole Violet, Ceruleun Blue, and Indigo. Then I went back over with two colors of crayon--one's a light blue and one's a pale gray.

The most important part of this post, though, is the photo.  I've grumbled before about how hard it is to get accurate photos of watercolors.  I just bought a tripod (hello focus!) and a lightbox with a couple of natural lights.  What a difference.  I didn't really have to edit this photo at all, except to crop it and adjust the resolution.  I'm thinking it was a very worthwhile investment.







No comments:

Post a Comment