Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Autumn Abstract

Autumn Abstract.  13 x 9.5 inches.  Watercolor. 
It seems like different trees have decided to show off this year, and for the first time, the Kentucky Coffee Tree we planted in our front yard is displaying fall colors.   It is a lovely yellow gold, with some bright green mixed in.

I can see it from my front window when I'm painting at the kitchen table, and when I started the painting, I was shooting for semi-realistic.  I had neither a good composition (too centered), nor good colors (I started with indian yellow, hansa yellow medium, and ultramarine blue).

This is how it evolved into an abstract, with carbazole violet added as the last layer for darkness and shapes.

I think it's a combination of beautiful and ominous, or like autumn.

No comments:

Post a Comment