Monday, January 12, 2015

Black Eyed Susans

Black Eyed Susans.  Watercolor and Crayon.
Approximately 9.5 x 6.5 inches.
I painted this on Saturday, which would be day--....?  I am losing track.  It is a combination of indian yellow, hansa yellow medium (which was garbled in my palette), indigo, and a little carbazole violet. Then I overlaid with an orange Caran D'Ache Crayon in the flower petals.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again--my crayons are one of the best investments I've made in art supplies. I find they are especially suited to what I would call my particular loose style. Sometimes, I'll go back in and paint after I've added the crayon. Not sure I'm supposed to do that, but some of my favorite paintings of late have come from painting over the crayon....for example September.  My biggest worry from this is that I'll wreck my brushes, but so far, so good.

Everything I've painted for this challenge has been out of my head, which means I'm winging together compositions, colors (and remember, I have the incredible shrinking palette), and flowers.  I like this composition. I wish I could have done more with the colors in the flowers before adding the crayon, but it came out reasonably well.

I think I'll give it one more day, and then cave, and actually clean out my palettes.

Amy

PS  My son had a great birthday!


No comments:

Post a Comment