Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Not a Flower.

Not a Flower.  Watercolor.
Approximately 6 x 7 inches.

Do you ever listen to Ted Talks?  I rarely listen, but I do like to read the interactive transcripts. Videos or youtube?  No, thank-you.  Art demos? Not so much.  I do like to look at finished pieces, and I love to see what people are writing about. Some artists are also fabulous writers.  Not me.  I ramble.    

I get a lot of quotes from various Ted Talks in my inbox, and this one caught my eye:

"Why you will fail to have a great career..."  by the economist Larry Smith.  It's from 2011, so you may already have seen it.  But, if you're an artist, especially a late career artist like me, and it the talk is new to you, you should read it (or listen!).  Plus, bonus, it's funny.

Now on to the painting


I just couldn't paint another flower yesterday--I think it's the OH gray skies. This little abstract is done with quin violet, indian yellow (which is almost hidden), prussian blue--and then at the end, it looked very 'meh,' and I decided it needed something.  I ended up going back with some manganese blue hue. All the paints are Daniel Smith.

As I contemplate the colors on my palette now, I'm down to a collection a bizarre collection of reds, greens, a couple of blues, quin gold, and burnt sienna.  I really only have a lot of indigo, quin gold, and burnt sienna.  You can probably see where this is going for the color scheme of tomorrows painting.

And, even thought this is not a flower, I'm fairly proud of myself for getting out 6 paintings in 8 days. On wards!

No comments:

Post a Comment