Friday, January 23, 2015

One Hundred!

Blue Barn II.  Watercolor.  Approximately 10x12 inches
This is my 100th post!  Woot.  I posted for the first time on October 4, 2012, which means I'm pretty close to averaging a post a week.  However, if you've been reading this blog, you'll know that I've been post crazy for the last few weeks.  This is my 11th post in January 2015--not to worry, I'll be back to my normal pace at the end of January.
I should have been painting flowers, per my 30 in 30 goal, but instead I specifically chose this barn.  I love this barn.  It's in Fairfield, OH at the top of a hill.  At the bottom of the hill is a large office complex, and across the street is a hospital--it is a little incongruous--but there it is every time I drive by in the morning.  This is the third or fourth time I've tried to paint it, and the 2nd time I've done a barn in predominantly blue.


I stopped in the parking lot of the office complex to take this picture, and rather than painting plein air, took the time to lay out the painting with a sketch.  I think I've had such a hard time painting the structure because of the perspective.  The drawing helped, and you can see the pencil marks on the lightest side of the barn.  The colors are my interpretation.  I started with colors closer to the photo I took, but quickly moved on to a different interpretation.

Limited palette--two yellows and two blues:  Prussian Blue, Manganese Blue Hue, Indian Yellow, and Permanent Yellow Deep.  All from Daniel Smith.  On 300 lb Fabriano Rough.

No comments:

Post a Comment